Attractions in the surrounding area
Escape to the wild coast
MAGWA FALLS (SELF DRIVE)
From the Umzimvubu River Bridge travel 36km towards Lusikisiki until you get to the Waterfall Bluff turn off (on your right). Travel 5.6km along the concrete road until you get to the Mboyti gravel road turn off (on your right). Travel 6.7km along the gravel road until you get to the Magwa Clinic road turn off (on your right). 3km further you will get a fork in the road – keep to your right. The Magwa Falls are another 6kms further. Locals will guide you to the two photo spots. Be careful – very slippery! Take some change / sweets for the kids & the main guide will expect around R10.
ANGEL FALLS (SELF DRIVE)
Travel back the way you came until you get to the Magwa Clinic intersection (i.e. 9 kms back the way you came) and turn right heading towards Mboyti, travel for 2kms and then turn left onto smaller dirt road. Travel 1km to little bridge. Falls are on your right hand side. You can see the falls from above or take walk passed the view point of the falls & you will find a small sign board where you can follow a trail and walk all the way to the bottom of the falls. Be careful – very slippery!
OFFSHORE AFRICA ACTIVITIES
Offshore Africa based in Port St Johns offer ocean & river tours as follows:
- River cruises – “Bobalong” 30 seater river barge – perfect for sundowner trips (approximately 2 hours) & specialized itineraries i.e. parties/function etc
- 2 hour ocean experience trip – take a look at the beautiful Wild Coast from another angle, with the possibility of sighting our resident bottlenose dolphins
- Photographic ocean excursions – half day to either Waterfall Bluff OR Brazen Head/Umgazana river estuary system
- Annual humpback whale migration – June – November is the annual humpback whale season, for those wishing to see whales
- Air boat river tours – “The Beast” air boat is only the 2nd air boat in South Africa to offer river tours. 1½ hour trips are available
- The annual sardine run ocean experience
Contact Debbie or Rob on +27 82 256 9414 / +27 84 951 1325 or email email@example.com
AIRSTRIP – MOUNT THESIGER (SELF DRIVE)
Awesome views of the lodge, the Umzimvubu River, the river mouth and more from above. Take a picnic basket and enjoy a sunset drink from the Airstrip.
- Take Bridge Street into town
- Turn left on North Street and then right onto the concrete road / Military Base Road all the way to the airstrip (veering right).
- Second Beach
- Silaka Nature Reserve
- Long Beach
- Delicious Monster
- The Koeksisters Deli
- The Waterfront Restaurant
- Steve’s Restaurant
GUIDED TOURS / HIKES
Blowhole, Second Beach, Bulolo Waterfall, Eagles Nest, Poenskop Village Tour, Isinuka Sulphur Springs (Mud Caves), Sundowners at the Airstrip, Silaka Nature Reserve and 3rd Beach, Magwa and Angel Falls, Golf, Canoeing at Ntafufu, Walk up to the Lighthouse, Town, Canoe trips, Cultural Tours, etc
Contact: Amapondo Backpackers 047 564 1344 / 083 315 3103 OR Jungle Monkey Backpackers 047 564 1517
Amapondo Backpackers 047 564 1344 / 083 315 3103
We are fortunate to have our own golf course here in Port St. Johns, You will find a 9 golf course with 18 different T Boxes. The atmosphere on the golf course is quite relaxed so there is no fancy dress code.
Contact Dries 0820817905
N’TABA RIVER LODGE SPA
Bookings – Contact: 047 564 1707
ANNUAL SARDINE RUN – (JUNE & JULY)
For more information or packages contact:
+27 (0) 41 581 1144
+27 (0) 83 656 8485
Contact Debbie or Rob
+27 82 2569414 / +27 84 9511325